Due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic and keeping in mind the health and safety of all the participants; the 2 June 2020 Construction Dispute Symposium has been re-scheduled to 4 March 2021.
Update of the Event details will follow in due course
This Symposium will explore global trends including historical, current and emerging approaches to dispute resolution. Presenters include leading practitioners in construction practice, construction law and dispute resolution. These thought leaders will engage in knowledge share, including practices and emerging trends in the field of construction law and dispute resolution.
The Chair for the Symposium will be Duncan W. Glaholt, the session chairs will be Marcia J. Oliver and Sandra Astolfo. The moderated panels will be chaired by Geza R. Banfai and Glenn W. Ackerley. The chairs and moderators will be joined by other eminent leaders in construction disputes as this Symposium follows the hugely successful 2019 Construction Adjudication Symposium, also held in Toronto.
This event is brought to you jointly by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) and the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). Both the CIArb and RICS are renowned for the training, development and continuing professional development of professionals that have experience in construction disputes.
Construction professionals from across Canada will convene in Toronto to share knowledge on construction disputes, exploring collaborative and adversarial approaches. Leading subject matter experts including those with substantial international experience will explore current and emerging practises. Don’t miss this event with eminent leaders in construction disputes gathered in a historic venue in downtown Toronto.
Symposium from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Topics to be covered:
Global trends in dispute resolution
Other collaborative and adversarial approaches
Emerging trends in alternative dispute resolution
The role of experts
Achieving the ADR needs of stakeholders
Aligning ADR needs in contract drafting
The symposium concludes with a reception and dinner* from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., during which there will be an Award of Excellence.
The Symposium has an impressive list of speakers and presenters, including:
Keynote dinner speaker:
- The Honourable Warren K. Winkler
- Glenn W. Ackerley, Partner, WeirFoulds LLP Panel
- Matt Ainley, Chair, General Contractors Alliance of Canada (GCAC)
- Jason Annibale, Partner, McMillan LLP
- Sandra Astolfo, Partner, WeirFoulds LLP
- Geza R. Banfai, Partner, McMillan LLP
- Raymond Bassett, Vice Chair, Canadian Construction Association
- Zey Emir, President, Revay and Associates Ltd.
- Ali Fard, Managing Director – Canada, Driver Trett Canada Ltd.
- Duncan W. Glaholt, Partner, Glaholt LLP
- Karen B. Groulx, Partner, Dentons
- Julie G. Hopkins, Counsel, Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (Effective March 1, 2020 – Independent Arbitrator with Calgary Energy & Commercial Arbitrators (CECA)
- Professor Doug Jones, Arbitrator and International Judge of the Singapore Commercial Court
- Harvey Kirsh, Kirsh Construction ADR
- Howard Krupat, Partner, DLA Piper (Canada LLP)
- Toni Linardi, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary, Principal at Golder Associates
- Guillermo Montes, Regional Director, Systech International
- Christopher P. Moran, General Counsel, Maple Reinders Group Ltd.
- Stephen R. Morrison, Resident Arbitrator and Mediator, Arbitration Place
- Kenneth W. Movat, Partner, Fogler Rubinoff LLP
- Marcia J. Oliver, Partner, Advocates LLP
- Carina Reider, Project Manager, ODACC at ADR Chambers
- R. Bruce Reynolds, Partner, Singleton Urquhart Reynolds Vogel LLP
- Sandra Skivsky, Chair, National Trade Contractors Coalition of Canada
- Dr. Paul Tichauer, Chair, CIArb
- Sharon C. Vogel, Partner, Singleton Urquhart Reynolds Vogel LLP
- Dr. Janet Walker, Professor, Osgoode Law School
- Howard M. Wise, Partner, Goodmans LLP
- Richard Wong, Partner, Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP
*Detailed agenda will be announced, along with details of further speakers.